If you're looking for a pure catching glove, you've found it in the new Vaughn Velocity 7 XF Pro Carbon catch glove. Completely re-imagined for 2016, the XF Pro Carbon has been designed to maximize your catching power, minimize weight, and stupify shooters.
The first thing you'll notice on the XF is the incredibly large catching surface - larger than most gloves on the market today. To increase it's overall perimeter, Vaughn reduced the height of the cuff box slightly and also shortened the heel of the glove. The surface area found from reducing the size in these areas was put into the elongated pre-curved finger area and the t-web, creating a large overall pocket. The thumb plastic was also made shorter to make the pocket even wider!
Protection and durability were also a concern when building the XF Pro Carbon, which is why you'll find a carbon fiber molded palm section, carbon fiber support strips in the palm, a carbon fiber thumb tunnel at the back of the glove, and carbon support strips on the horizontal t-web bars. Reinforcement strips have also been added to the glove perimeter to keep the fingers from curling over time.
The interior of the glove has also been redesigned, and it's as comfortable as you hope it would be. The lining is made of a grip material, and there is a pre-shaped grip rail where your fingertips sit. The grip rail has two functions - it helps fill the spring mesh finger stalls to give the glove a nice, snug fit, and it acts to give your fingers a bit more leverage when closing the glove. The wrist cuff has been moved up the glove slightly to allow for better wrist flexibility, and the underside has been lined with Evozote foams for a soft, comfortable feel. The wrist strap has a new "dual pull" system that allows the goalie to customize the fit from both sides of the wrist.
The XF Pro Carbon catch glove is customizable, and is available in the new V7 graphic, a Diamond Stitch graphic, or a Vintage graphic.
Additional features include:
- Extended length and wider double bar T-web for deeper pocket and puck control
- Flared back cuff for increased wrist flex
- Four-piece back hand padding for flex
- No binding cuff for increased blocking surface
- Heat moldable for custom fit
- Fingertip to thumb closure
Measure your hand from the heel of the palm to the tip of the middle finger, then consult the chart below to find the size that will work for you.
|Catch Glove Sizing Chart
|4 3/4 - 5 5/8 in.
||5 5/8 - 6 1/4 in.
||6 1/4 - 7 in.
||7 - 8 3/8 in.
|119 - 143 cm
||144 - 160 cm
||161 - 178 cm
||179 - 213 cm
Keys to a Proper Fit:
- The goalie's fingers should extend out to the end of the finger stalls of the inside palm to ensure a proper fit. However, any more than 1/2" from the tip of the goaltender's finger to the end of the finger stall and the goaltender will not have the leverage needed to properly close and control the glove.
- The heel of your hand should line up with the heel and cuff of the catcher. If not, the proper balance between the cuff and catching portion of the glove may be disturbed, making the glove too cumbersome while sacrificing protection.